In the past when I was creating a new series…or adding to an existing one, the format/voice of the series was already an integrated part of the work…it often inspired the direction the images would go. The Chance Chronicles series has been very different. The images were created, inspired by a sense of a world that I wanted to create - but I wasn’t sure what the actual output would be. For a year I struggled with trying various methods of printing, with no success at all! The upside was I discovered a passion for animation and was able to keep moving forward making work. Finally, last spring I took a Platinum Printing workshop and it was a eureka moment - this was the “voice” that the images had been looking for. Since then, I’ve been struggling to repeat the workshop success, to translate the process into my own home environment.
To say it has been a frustrating experience would be an understatement and the stack of crap prints is quite high. Platinum (although it’s really more Palladium) is a very difficult process…so many elements can play a significant roll: humidity, paper, chemistry, ambient temperature, the drying process…all parts that can completely change the look of the print. But, when it does come together, there’s a sense that you’ve created a little jewel. The prints have a dimension beyond digital prints - and there’s also a strong “mark of the hand” which is what I felt the series needed. I love that each one is different, that an “edition” is really a set of related prints, but each is unique.